Sometimes, it seems impossible to leave a traumatic event in the past. It follows you through every waking moment and appears in your nightmares, too. If that’s happening to you, you may benefit from young adult mental health treatment. At Kiwi Recovery, we’re proud to offer young adult PTSD treatment services that include multiple proven treatment modalities. If you want to heal from past traumas in a safe, supportive, and uplifting environment, give Kiwi Recovery a call at 617.545.3344.
What Causes PTSD in Teens and Young Adults?
Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) don’t only impact military veterans. Our adolescent PTSD therapy program can treat trauma arising from a number of causes:
- Sexual abuse or assault
- Physical assault or abuse
- Serious health problems
- Childbirth and related experiences
- Natural disasters
- Being kidnapped or otherwise held against your will
- Loss of a loved one
Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list—there are many different types of events that can result in PTSD. It’s also possible to experience a traumatic event but not develop PTSD symptoms.
How Do You Know You Have PTSD?
Only a qualified mental health professional can tell you if you have PTSD. However, there are many symptoms you can look for in yourself. If you struggle with some or all of the following symptoms, you might be a good candidate for our PTSD treatment for teens and young adults:
- Mentally re-experiencing the event or having flashbacks
- Avoiding people, places, and things that remind you of the event
- Feeling emotionally numb
- Feeling constantly tense or on edge
- Anger, irritability, or aggression
- Nausea, dizziness, or other physical symptoms
- Harmful or destructive behaviors like misuse of substances
When you live with these symptoms every day, it’s easy to feel like there’s no way out. However, our teen PTSD treatment services include effective methods that can help you move closer to feeling at peace.
How Does a Young Adult PTSD Treatment Program Work?
Our young adult PTSD treatment program works to address your trauma from multiple angles. Trauma can impact your mental and physical health in a range of different ways. Fortunately, our experts rely on a whole suite of treatment modalities:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – This talk-based therapy can be focused on trauma to help you learn to process the event and reframe how you view it
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – This therapy teaches you grounding techniques and helps you regulate your emotions so the trauma becomes less disruptive
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) – This therapy stimulates both sides of your brain as you process the trauma, and it alters how traumatic memories are stored in the brain
- Neurofeedback – This process trains your brain to shift from a hyper-aroused state into a more relaxed one
- Treatment of co-occurring disorders – PTSD sometimes happens alongside substance use disorders or eating disorders, and treating those disorders helps you get closer to complete wellness
At Kiwi Recovery, we believe in holistic treatment. Although our teen PTSD treatment services include different types of mental health therapies, we also include other modalities and therapies to help you achieve total wellness. These include music therapy, meditative therapy, nutritional counseling, and life skills training.
Find Relief with Teen PTSD Treatment at Kiwi Recovery
Going into PTSD treatment for teens for the first time can be scary. After all, it’s natural to want to avoid discussing (and sometimes even acknowledging) past traumas. However, at Kiwi Recovery, you’ll find a supportive staff that genuinely cares about your well-being. It takes courage to ask for help, and we can help you if you’re ready to take that first step. Contact Kiwi Recovery today at 617.545.3344.