For those in addiction recovery, breaking free of the physical bonds of a substance use disorder is only the beginning. To remain in recovery, those in addiction treatment must also break free of the psychological ties to substance use. Addiction treatment services at Kiwi Recovery are foundational parts of our approach because they teach adolescents and young adults how to identify triggers for substance use and develop healthier coping skills. One way that we promote long-term recovery is through our relapse prevention program. This program is specially designed to ease the transition back to everyday life and keep our clients on the right track.
Your child deserves to live a life free from the struggles of addiction. At Kiwi Recovery, we believe that relapse prevention can be an important part of this journey. Reach out to our Concord treatment center at 617.751.6610 to learn more about how we can help your loved one heal.
Why Relapse Happens
Relapse is incredibly common. Addiction is a chronic illness, and just as people with other chronic illnesses sometimes experience a return of symptoms, those in recovery from addiction can relapse.
- Relapse happens for a variety of reasons, including:
- Stressful life events or situations
- Poor coping skills
- Associating with people who still abuse substances
- The presence of substance use triggers
- Lack of a supportive recovery network
While relapse is common, it can also be dangerous. Those in active addiction may have built up a tolerance to a particular substance. Still, after a period of sobriety, the body is no longer used to the substance and could react dangerously. A relapse prevention program is important not only because a return to use can be a setback but because relapse can be life-threatening.
Relapse Prevention Therapy Can Help
Relapse doesn’t have to be inevitable. At Kiwi Recovery, we help the teens and young adults in our care understand why relapse happens, why it’s dangerous, and how they can avoid it.
Preventing relapse is possible. We incorporate relapse prevention into our plans starting on day one of treatment. During treatment, our clients learn a variety of skills that can help them recognize and avoid triggers for substance use, cope with cravings, strengthen their commitment to sobriety, and identify potential risks before they become problems.
Some of the evidence-based therapies we use as part of our relapse prevention services for teens and young adults include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT helps those in addiction treatment identify and change their thought patterns and behaviors that can lead to relapse.
- Motivational enhancement therapy – This evidence-based therapy helps participants identify their motivation to stay in recovery and resist substance use.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – DBT helps clients learn how to regulate their emotions, manage cravings, and build a life worth living without substance use.
- Trauma therapy – If trauma is a trigger for substance use, trauma therapy can help clients process their pain and develop healthier coping skills.
This is not an exhaustive list, as every client in our care receives an individualized treatment plan tailored to their unique needs.
Reach Out to Kiwi Recovery for a Relapse Prevention Program That Works
Our young adult and adolescent relapse prevention program can help your loved one not only begin the journey to recovery but maintain their progress long-term. A healthy, thriving life in sobriety is possible—and at Kiwi Recovery, we’re here to help.
If you’re looking for relapse prevention in Concord for your teen or young adult, reach out to our team at 617.751.6610 or contact us online to get started. We look forward to helping your loved one build a life in recovery.