What is a dual diagnosis treatment program, and what can it treat? This program is for young adults and teens who are struggling with an addiction caused by or is a symptom of depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety, or other conditions. It breaks the addiction cycle while delving into to reasons that started the abuse in the first place. In many cases, clients are unaware of the underlying reasons why they started using drugs or alcohol to feel better.
At Kiwi Recovery, we support teens and young adults who are struggling with addiction and mental health concerns. We offer dual diagnosis treatment that utilizes behavioral therapy and holistic therapy to treat both conditions simultaneously. Clients work with therapists in group and private therapy sessions to develop new coping skills that help them process their feelings instead of hiding from them. To see if our young adult dual diagnosis treatment is right for your teenager or young adult, call 617.751.6610 today to speak with our compassionate team.
What Is a Dual Diagnosis Treatment Program?
Many individuals with a substance use disorder will also have an underlying mental health condition that is fueling the addiction. The most common types of conditions that can co-occur with addiction include:
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Social anxiety
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar disorders
- Major depressive disorder (MDD)
Treatment for dual diagnosis focuses on multiple issues at the same time and provides a more effective recovery experience for those with multiple disorders. Behavioral therapists use various therapeutic techniques to teach clients how to process difficult emotions or negative thoughts without sparking any negative or harmful behaviors. In addition, programs use medication to ease any withdrawals, cravings, or other symptoms from disrupting the recovery process.
At Kiwi Recovery, our young adult dual diagnosis treatment programs are tailored to the individual and the unique causes behind the addiction. Our treatment center welcomes all teens and young adults who are ready to accept help and begin regaining control of their lives.
Enrolling in a Young Adult Dual Diagnosis Program
Enrolling in a teen dual diagnosis program is the smart choice to make to prevent symptoms from worsening and causing significant disruption to their development and education. Without treatment, their outlook for a healthy and productive future decreases the longer they go without professional support.
Here is what you can expect after enrolling in a dual-diagnosis treatment program for teens and young adults:
- The first step in building an effective treatment program begins with a therapist running a full assessment of each client’s physical and mental health, along with the severity of their addiction. They use this information to decide which therapies and medication will best treat both disorders simultaneously.
- Clients will work with a behavioral therapist in private to discuss and uncover the original disorder that is fueling the addiction. Therapists use various techniques to help clients process their memories or negative thoughts without causing any negative behaviors or cravings for drugs or alcohol.
- In group therapy, clients and their peers will participate in group discussions and other activities that support their recovery. This can include role-playing games, holistic therapies, and outdoor activities. Group therapy also gives clients time to practice their coping skills and build their confidence in managing their symptoms.
- Therapists will also work with loved ones and family members who are impacted by the addiction, so they can repair any fractured relationships or broken trust. They will have a chance to talk with a therapist in group and private settings while learning how to create a stable and supportive home environment.
While the treatment for dual diagnosis conditions may be complex, many people go on to lead healthy, happy, and sober lives after completing therapy. Many times, clients choose to continue talking with a therapist long after completing recovery to help maintain their goal of lifelong sobriety.
Find Effective Mental Health and Addiction Treatment at Kiwi Recovery
What is a dual diagnosis treatment program? At Kiwi Recovery, we will discuss your treatment program with you and answer any questions you have as you or a loved one prepares for recovery. Our dual diagnosis programs provide beneficial support for individuals who have developed an addiction due to depression or other mental health issues.